ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN PERSONS WITH SLIGHT MENTAL DISABILITY IN ADOLESCENCE
Relevance. An integral indicator of physical, mental and social functioning in medicine is the patient’s subjective assessment of the quality of his life. This indicator is in direct proportion to the ability. The individual to mental adaptation to external and internal conditions, changed under the influence of the disease. This study is devoted to the analysis of the influence of mild mental retardation of adolescence on the level of quality of life and social functioning of patients.Purpose of the study. To determine the levels of quality of life and social functioning in persons with mild mental retardation of adolescence, as criteria for assessing the condition of patients.
Materials and research methods. On the basis of the Kryvyi Rih neuropsychiatric dispensary, subject to informed consent, a two-stage study was carried out, in which 154 patients born in 2003-2008 were examined, who were under the dispensary observation of an adolescent psychiatrist upon reaching the age of 15. In the course of the study, clinical-epidemiological, clinical-psychopathological, psychodiagnostic and statistical methods were used.
Research results. The study contingent was divided into two groups (G1 and G2) according to the criterion of the form of residence – with parents or in specialized psycho-neurological boarding schools. It was found that the most unfavorable indicators in both groups were set on the “leisure” scale. The most positive indicators of the quality of life in G2 were found in the family sphere, and in G1 – in the overall assessment of the quality of life. The performed correlation analysis of assessments of the quality of life in G2 showed a direct connection between the indicators of the “mental health” scale with the scales “family” (r = 0.47), “contacts with peers” (r = 0.42) and “general assessment of the quality of life” (r = 0.38). Similar correlations in G1 were presented between the “overall assessment of the quality of life” and the scales “school” (r = 0.37), “family” (r = 0.39), “mental health” (r = 0.43).
According to the data obtained from the results of testing the parents of G2 adolescents, the most unfavorable indicators of the quality of life were revealed on the scale “mental health”, in G1 – on the scales: “workload of parents in connection with a child’s illness”. Parents of patients with G2 rated the scale “parental employment in connection with the diagnostic and therapeutic measures of the adolescent” as the most favorable. Among the parents of G1 patients, the quality of life of adolescents in the family was assessed most positively.
Conclusions. The features of assessing the quality of life by adolescents with mild mental retardation and their parents have been established – patients are more satisfied with their relationships with peers and their quality of life in general than their parents, but less favorably assessed the sphere of family relationships and leisure. It is these areas that require the most attention from the point of view of mental and social rehabilitation.
2. Juhasova A. Comparison of Quality of Life of Families with Children with Disability and Families with Children without Disability. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2015. Vol. 174. P. 3378–3384.
3. Townsend-White C., Pham A. N., Vassos M. V. Review: a systematic review of quality of life measures for people with intellectual disabilities and challenging behaviours. Journal of intellectual disability research. 2012. JIDR. № 56 (3). P. 270–284.
4. Attributions, criticism and warmth in mothers of children with intellectual disability and challenging behaviour: a pilot study / R. L. Lancaster et al. J. Intellect. Disabil. Res. 2014. Vol. 58, № 11. P. 1060–1071.
5. Филиппова Н. В., Кормилицина А. С. Эпидемиологические аспекты нарушений психического развития в детском возрасте. Бюллетень медицинских интернет-конференций. 2016. Т. 6, № 6. С. 1274–1276.
6. Gautam P., Bhatia M. S., Rathi A. Intellectual disability and multiple co morbid psychiatric disorders in a child: a case report. J. Clin. Diagn. Res. 2014. Vol. 8, № 11. URL: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmid/25584292.
7. Михейкина О. В. Оказание помощи людям с умственной отсталостью: проблемы и перспективы развития (обзор отечественных и зарубежных исследований). Обозрение психиатрии и медицинской психологии им. В.М. Бехтерева. 2013. № 2. С. 11–18.
8. Дементьева Д. В. Организация психологической помощи семьям с детьми с ограниченными возможностями здоровья. Развитие профессионализма. 2016. № 1. С. 192–193.
9. Голдовская А. В. Основные направления социальной работы с семьями, воспитывающими нетипичных детей: общая характеристика. Томск, 2014. 90 с.
10. Опыт применения опросника для оценки качества жизни детей и подростков с психическими расстройствами (пилотное исследование) / Т. Н. Дмитриева и др. Социальная и клиническая психиатрия. 1999. № 4. С. 39–41.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.